· Always ride with the traffic flow, as close
to the right edge of the road as possible.
· Obey all traffic signals, pavement markings
and directions given by police officers.
· Use hand signals to let drivers know your
· Bicycling after dark is very hazardous.
Bicycles must be equipped with a front light that reaches 500 feet and a
rear, red reflector.
· Wearing light-colored, reflective clothing
increases your visibility to other drivers during the day and night.
· Learn to look over your shoulder without
losing your balance or swerving left.
· Do not pass on the right. Motorists often
will not look for passing cyclists in that direction.
· When moving the same speed as traffic, ride
in the middle of the lane, especially at busy intersections.
· Keep both hands on the brakes. Allow extra
stopping time in the rain.
· Be alert for cars pulling out and make eye
contact with the drivers to ensure you have been seen.
· Do not weave between parked cars.