and Dam No. 25 is located near Winfield, Missouri on the Upper Mississippi
River at river mile 241.4. Listed on the National Register of Historic
Places construction of the lock and dam began in 1935 and became operational
in May 1939. The dam portion of the structure is 1,140 feet long with 14
60-foot tainter gates and 3 100-foot roller gates.
A 2,566 foot submersible dike
extends to the Illinois shore. A 5 mile long dike is part of the facility
extending upstream on the Missouri side of the river. The pool created by
the structure is 32 miles long and covers 18,000 acres. The main lock is 110
feet wide by 600 feet long with an average lift of 15 feet.
Sandy Island Bald Eagle Sanctuary is just downstream from Lock and Dam #25 and
bald eagles can be seen during the winter as the birds take advantage of the
open churning water created by the lock and dam. The preserve is closed to all visitation from November 1 to March
Ferry that connects Lincoln County, MO to Calhoun
County, IL runs just south of Lock and Dam #25. Recreational facilities
include riverside picnic tables with barbeque pits and restrooms. Fishing is
allowed on the banks of Sandy Slough.
Lock and Dam No. 25
Open daily from 6 am to sunset.
There is no charge to visit Lock
and Dam No. 25.
reach Lock and Dam No. 25 take MO-79 north of the St. Louis metropolitan area
to Highway N at Winfield. Take Highway N about 1 mile east of Winfield to
the lock and dam.
Regional Locks and Dams -
Get more information on the Locks and Dams in the Middle Mississippi
River Valley from Lock and Dam No.19 in Keokuk, Iowa to and Lock and Dam
No. 27 in Granite City, Illinois just north of St. Louis.