Visitors Guide to
Attractions
in Cape Girardeau County, Missouri
   
   
Bollinger Mill State Historic Site
113 Bollinger Mill Road
Burfordville, MO
573-243-4591
  Bollinger Mill State Historic Site is unusual in that it features both a workable mill and a covered bridge, side by side. The Burfordville Covered Bridge is the oldest of the four covered bridges still remaining in Missouri. The site features a tree-shaded picnic area, a quarter-mile of stream bank, fishing in the Whitewater River, and a historical cemetery. The first floor of the mill is accessible and self guided with interpretive labels. Interpreters are available to provide information and answer questions. The side-by-side historic structures provide an excellent setting for artists and photographers.
   
Capaha Rose Garden
Capaha Park
Broadway Street & Perry Avenue

Cape Girardeau, MO
573-339-6340
  Cape Girardeau was once known as the City of Roses. In the 1940s, an incredible garden lined Highway 61 between Cape Girardeau and Jackson. A present-day reminder of those bygone days is the Capaha Rose Garden that is maintained by the Council of Garden Clubs that  maintain 42 beds devoted to over 200 varieties of roses and almost 1,000 plants.
   
Cape Girardeau Murals
Downtown District
Cape Girardeau, MO
1-800-777-0068
  Murals have become a popular way for communities to exhibit their heritage and culture. Cape Girardeau has a large number of murals that make visiting them an attraction of their own. In Cape Girardeau the floodwall along Water Street of the old downtown district has become a canvas for Chicago artist Thomas Melvinís Mississippi River Tales. This mural features 24 panels that tell Cape Girardeauís stories, from the Native Americans to the Civil War and beyond. Other murals in the downtown district include the Southeast Missourianís Tile Murals, the Coca-Cola Mural, the University Mural, the Bicentennial Mural, the Heritage of Music Mural, and the Missouri Wall of Fame.
   
Cape Girardeau Nature Center
2289 County Park Drive
Cape Girardeau, MO
573-290-5218
  The Cape Girardeau Conservation Nature Center showcases the rich cultural history and diverse natural resources of Southeast Missouri. Indoors, the nature center features hands-on exhibits for all ages, a 160-seat auditorium, three classrooms, a scientific research laboratory, freshwater aquariums, an indoor wildlife viewing area, and a gift shop. The nature center grounds include gardens featuring native wildflowers, a Kid's Fishing Pond, and nature hiking trails that rolling river hills with sinkholes, deep hollows, and ravines covered with prominent stands of poplar and oak. The grounds include a hummingbird garden, native plant landscape, a reconstructed swamp and a demonstration marsh.
   
Cape River Heritage Museum
538 Independence Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
573-334-0405
  The Cape River Heritage Museum located in an old police and fire station and is dedicated to preserving and celebrating the unique character of southeastern Missouri. The museum hosts ever-changing exhibits, educational programs, special tours, community, and social events that are open to families, school groups, organizations, tour groups and the general public.
Crisp Museum
One University Plaza
175 Cultural Arts Center

Cape Girardeau, MO
573-651-2260
  The Rosemary Berkel and Harry L Crisp II Museum is located at Southeast Missouri State University's new River Campus. This museum features fine art exhibitions and interpretive regional history displays. The Museum Theatre runs a seventeen-minute video introducing visitors to southeast Missouriís rich natural and human history. The Permanent Exhibition Gallery displays, artifacts, and multimedia installations explore aspects of the regionís geology, pre-history, transportation, agriculture, and Civil War battles. The Temporary Exhibition Gallery features changing exhibitions displaying works by local, regional, national, and international artists.
For information on current and future exhibitions visit the Crisp Museum website.
   
Fort D
920 W. Fort Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
573-339-6340
  Cape Girardeau was one of the most fortified cities in the United States during the Civil War. Today all that remains of Cape Girardeauís fort system is Fort D overlooking the Mississippi River. Fort D consisted of earthwork walls with a palisade wall of upright logs along the rear that was pierced by a gate. In 1936 the local American Legion purchased the fort as a public park for the city. The Works Project Administration agreed to perform restoration on the earthworks and improvements in the form of a replica powder house. Major stabilization and improvements to the site began in 2005 with new interpretive signs and the fort being used as a site for Civil War living history.
   
Glenn House
325 S. Spanish Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
573-335-1631
  The Glenn House is a vernacular farmhouse style house that was completed in 1883. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places the house is currently owned by the Historical Association of Greater Cape Girardeau. The house has been faithfully restored and has many original architectural features. Authentic period furniture graces its restored rooms depicting late Victorian life around 1900.
   
McKendree Chapel
Bainbridge Road
Jackson, MO
573-204-3633
  The Old McKendree Chapel, a national Methodist shrine, was the second meeting house constructed by the Methodists in Missouri and is regarded as the oldest Protestant church structure standing west of the Mississippi River. The Old McKendree Chapel is situated on two pastoral acres in a grove of oak and maple trees. With the trees providing shade and the spring at the base of the rise dispensing refreshing cold water, this peaceful setting was an ideal location for camp meetings with the first meetings being held on the site as early as 1806.
   
Old Bridge Overlook
Morgan Oak Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
  In the summer of 1928 a bridge was built across the river and was hailed as ďThe Gateway to the Ozarks.Ē This bridge was built for the cars of the day and was only 20 feet wide and big trucks routinely bumped mirrors when they passed each other. After a new bridge was opened in 2003 the portal of the old bridge was left standing. This portal has since been incorporated into a river overlook as part of the new River Campus of the Southeast Missouri State University. This overlook includes a viewing scope that provides a commanding view of the Mississippi River and there is access to the River Campus Trail.
   
Old St. Vincentís Church
629 William Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
573-335-9347
  Old St. Vincent's Church was built in 1853 on the original site of the Louis Lorimier's Red House. Old St. Vincent's Church Renaissance architecture, referred to as English Gothic Revival style, is a rare example of this style of church in America. The church was doomed for destruction when a new parish church was built in 1976 but a small group of people set about to save the original parish church. Restorations have included both interior and exterior renovation. The church is open for Mass on Sundays and for group guided tours by appointment.
   
Red House
128 S. Main Street
Cape Girardeau, MO
1-800-777-0068
  At the turn of the 19th century Lorimier's Trading Post was the largest and most well known trading post between St. Louis and Memphis. Traders, Native Americans, and local residents came to the post to either buy or trade for needed goods. Lewis Meriwether stopped by Lorimier's trading post for supplies in 1803. The Red House Interpretive Center is a replica of a French Colonial style home built for the Cape Girardeau Lewis & Clark Bicentennial Commemoration. The Center also interprets different aspects of life at the turn of the 19th century.
River Campus Art Gallery
Seminary Building Room 106
518 S. Fountain Street

Cape Girardeau, MO
573-651-2663
  The River Campus Art Gallery is part of the Earl and Margie Holland School of Visual and Performing Arts on the beautiful new River Campus of Southeast Missouri State University. The 1,275 square-foot gallery space is located in the historic Seminary Building, a renovated space that houses offices, studios and classrooms for the Departments of Art, Music and Theater and Dance. The River Campus sits on the banks of the Mississippi River adjacent to a beech-shaded park with walking paths, a gazebo and sweeping views of the river.
For information on current and future exhibitions visit the River Campus Art Gallery website.
   
Trail of Tears State Park
429 Moccasin Springs
Jackson, MO
573-290-5268
  Trail of Tears State Park is a memorial to the members of the Cherokee tribe that lost their lives during their forced relocation in the winter of 1838-39. The peaceful, serene setting and the abundance of recreational opportunities of the 3,415-acre park are in sharp contrast to the tragic history that gives the park its name. The park preserves the native woodlands much as they appeared to the Cherokee. Mature forests cover much of the park, which is characterized by sharp ridges and steep ravines. Located directly on the Mississippi River, visitors can view the plentiful wildlife, including white-tailed deer, turkeys, hawks and foxes. The park offers camping, fishing, swimming, hiking, backpacking, primitive camping and equestrian pursuits.
   
For Travelers Heading Up River
  French Colonial Country
Down river of St. Louis and the Meeting of the Great Rivers Scenic Byway area is French Colonial Country. This five county area was heavily influenced by the French fur traders who inhabited the region from 1700 to 1840. Attractions include the town of Ste. Genevieve with the largest concentration of French Colonial architecture in North America, Forts de Chartre and Kaskaskia in Randolph County, and the Cahokia complex in St. Clair County.
   






 
 
FEATURED ATTRACTIONS ALONG THE GREAT RIVER ROAD
Sikeston Depot
Cultural Center
Giant City
State Park
Trail of Tears
State Park
Mississippi River
Ferries
     
 
 
  Regional Guides
to the Middle Mississippi River Valley
 
       
  Meeting of the Great Rivers
National Scenic Byway
Ste. Genevieve &
French Colonial Country
Gateway to the West
St. Louis & St. Louis County
        
 
   Meeting the Missouri
Historic St. Charles County
The Lincoln Hills Region
Northeast Missouri
   
 
  The Tri-States Area
Iowa, Illinois & Missouri
The Mississippi River
Meets the Ohio River
   
  greatriverroad.com Home Page
Your index to over 800 informative pages covering the Middle Mississippi River Valley.
  At greatriverroad.com we strive for accuracy.
If you have any corrections, suggestions or information
you would like to see contact the webmaster.
For advertising information contact marketing.
Copyright 2001-2011
greatriverroad.com - Elsah, Illinois