Visitors Guide to the
275 N. Main Street
history of the Peterson House dates back to the early 1800s. The land that
the house is on was part of a Kaskaskia Land Grant claim and was bought in
1817 by Enoch Moore for a payment of $4.00 in back taxes. Although it is not
known exactly when the house was first constructed, it is known that the
original portion was built after Moore acquired the property. Analysis of
the construction techniques of the windows, nine panes over six panes,
dates the house to somewhere between 1815 and the 1830s.
the Peterstown House was used as a general store, tavern, and inn for
stagecoach travelers on the Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail. Like many homes of
its age the building has had additions made to it until it reached its
present size. Uses for the building also underwent changes. The second
floor became a theater and ballroom with a stage for the musicians or
actors and in later years, the second floor was used as apartments. The
house was scheduled to be demolished but was bought by the
Peterstown Heritage Society who restored the house. The Peterstown House
is the only remaining stagecoach stop still intact along the 60-mile
Kaskaskia-Cahokia Trail and was placed on the National Register of
Historic Places in 1977.
Peterstown Heritage Society operates a museum in the house. On display are
exhibits featuring antique furniture and artifacts of the mid-1880s as
well as a number of other pieces from a variety of different eras. The
original room is laid out as a early 18th century country store (photo
right) and the walls have been revealed to show the original construction
methods. Two log cabins, both over 100 years old, have been relocated to
Visiting the Peterson House
Saturday - Sunday: 1 pm - 4 pm
or by appointment
There is no charge to visit the Peterson House , although donations are appreciated.
Directions: The Peterstown House is located just north of
downtown Waterloo on N. Main Street.
W 90° 09.010'
more about the Waterloo area.