Visitors Guide to the
327 St. Mary Road
Sainte Genevieve, Missouri
The Beauvais-Amoureux House was built in 1792 by
Jean Baptiste St. Gemme Beauvais, Jr. overlooking le grand champ,
the agricultural fields of Sainte Genevieve. The home was constructed in the French creole vernacular post in ground (poteaux-en-terre) manner that was
common in the 18th century in Ste. Genevieve. The Beauvais-Amoureux House has vertical
log walls, made of cedar, that are set directly into the earth without a
foundation and is one of three such structures in Sainte Genevieve and one
of only five surviving examples of this type of construction in the United
States. In 1852, the home was sold to Benjamin C. Amoureux and owned by
successive generations of his family. The home is now part of the Felix
Vallé State Historic Site. An impressive diorama showing the
village of Sainte Genevieve in 1832 along with exhibits explaining the
construction of this type of house can be found at the site.
Visiting the Amoureux
The Beauvais-Amoureux House is open on weekends April 1 through October 31,
and open daily June 1 through mid-August.
Check the Felix
Vallé State Historic Site for its hours of operation.
The Beauvais-Amoureux House and the Dr. Benjamin Shaw House
are part of the Felix
Vallé State Historic Site. Admission to all three sites is $4 for Adults and $2.50 for students.
Directions: The Beauvais-Amoureux House is located on St. Marys Road near the
historic downtown district in Sainte Genevieve. From the Visitors Center take
S. Main Street south to St. Marys Road. The Amoureux House will on the right
after several blocks. From MO-79 South, St. Marys Road will be on the
southern edge of Sainte Genevieve. Take St. Marys Road about three or four
blocks to the Bauvais-Amoureux House which will be on the left.
N 37° 58.437'
W 90° 02.429'
Learn more about the Sainte Genevieve